Long gone are the days when clothes didn’t fit or made you look like a house whilst you were pregnant – maternity fashion has come a long way, and women can now celebrate this amazing journey in style! I'm often asked, "What should I wear to my maternity session?" so here are a few tips I have picked up along the way but remember the most important thing is to feel comfortable and happy!
- Choose clothing that is slightly clingy and stretchy to show off your bump eg. Form-fitting dresses that cling to your bump, rather than hang off it, can be very elegant.
- Try to wear a solid colour - whether you choose a bright colour or muted tones (think about your location) – both look great if in a solid block.
- Long-sleeved tops or spaghetti straps are ideal at accentuating your growing bub!
- Wraps, textured scarves, sari's and maternity drapes create a whimsical, artistic look.
- Jeans and stretchy maternity pants are always a hit. Dark colours and especially black can be slimming on camera if you are having a fat day!
- I prefer my clients to be barefoot as it is more natural, but if you must wear shoes, try to find comfortable, safe, classic footwear.
- Body moisturiser is a must as it helps to accentuate that natural pregnancy glow.
Things to keep in mind:
- If you plan on showing off your bump bare-skinned - avoid wearing tight undergarments that leave marks.
- Watches and too much jewelry are generally distracting from the overall picture, unless it's part of a complete outfit.
- Baggy clothing, prints, stripes and multicoloured fabrics are distracting from your beautiful belly!